Ernest Rembry, son of Jean-Aimé Rembry, physician, and Clementine-Amande Delva, attended the college in Menen and studied canon law in Leuven later on, where he received his bachelor’s degree on July 11th, 1859. He was ordained priest on May 29th, 1858. On July 9, 1859 he became curate in St Gilles in Bruges. He wrote a history of the St Gilles’ church, its priests and all the events and important persons in the parish throughout the ages. He became deputy secretary of the Brugean diocese, on November 24th, 1873 honorary canon and on August 29,1884 secretary and judicial vicar. On April 20, 1885 he was appointed titular canon and vicar-general on May 31st, 1894. The higher his prestige and trust ranked with the ecclesiastical authorities, the more he was able to help Gezelle. He was involved in the foundation of Gezelle's magazine Rond den heerd (By the Fireside) and he also published in Biekorf (Beehive).