Alfons De Leyn, son of Louis De Leyn, land owner, and Isabella De Coster, studied law at the university in Leuven. He earned his doctorate of law on April 14th, 1863. He was ordained priest on December 22nd, 1866 in Bruges. Next he was appointed teacher at the minor seminary in Roeselare (18.03.1867) and principal of the primary department of the Saint-Louis college in Bruges (September 1872) and its boarding school. He succeeded Emiel Minne as principal of the Saint-Louis college (1875-1883). He also worked as a school inspector. On September 21st 1887 he became honorary canon at the cathedral in Bruges and titular canon on May 15th 1889. He was closely involved with the organisation of the festivities on the occasion of the beatification of Idesbald van der Gracht in 1896. He also was a member of the Société d’émulation (History Society) in Bruges and the Guild of Saint Lutgarde. He collaborated on Rond den Heerd (By the Fireside) and Biekorf (Beehive).
A. De Leyn with pupils (1st person standing to the right), College of Saint Louis 1878-1879.
Online Edition of the Gezelle Letters
Here you can find the digitized letters next to the full searchable text. The letters are enriched with biographical and contextual information.